Saturday, September 16, 2006

Agates on the river

Today we went hunting for rocks and bones on the Nishnabotna river before the rain come. I'm so glad we went I made some really good finds. I found lots of honey agate of course and I also found a couple of small pieces of Lake Superior agate. But my big find was a buffalo tooth that I found half buried in the sandbar. Further up on the sandbar I found some claws from a turtle.
We found a few other old bones and some not so old bones, and a few other types of rocks that I'm not sure what type yet being new at this. And we also found some nice pieces of petrified wood. My children being the mighty rock hunters they are (haha) managed to catch bullfrogs. My daughter though did take a break from playing in the water and catching frogs for a little while to look for rocks. I guess it's in our blood my mom and aunt also love to hunt rocks but theirs is more of if they see one they like somewhere they will stop and pick it up.
They really don't go out looking for them all the time. They used to have rock fever real bad but i'll save that for another story. Till next time happy rock hunting.

No comments: